Monday, June 1, 2009

flats and crashes

Funny old weekend. As is the way, I haven't had a flat on my road bike for ages. Descending down to Blue Range, my front tyre felt a bit soft. Yep, flat. Going back past Parliament House the rear felt a bit soft. Yep, flat. Lucky I carry 2 spare tubes, that got me home with a bit of a loss of rhythm, but not too bad for the 4 hours.
 
It was so cold down at the Cotter River when I stopped for some water, I mean, the morning was cold anyway, I left home at 7 to try and beat the wind as it was forecast to be picking up a bit in the day. Climbing Mt McDonald and also up to Condor Creek and Piccadilly circus definitely warmed me up.
 
By the time I was cruisng back past stromlo to head home, I decided to climb Stromlo to get some water and check out the weather. Parliament house flag, upright all the way home, just had to get to adelaide ave for the tailwind.
 
On Sunday, I decided to take the MTB out as it had rained a bit overnight and was forecast for drizzle. It all started well, riding from home out to Bruce Ridge, then through Black Mountain and the cork plantation before the first hour had passed. Hammering through the arboretum and then along the superhighway I was then pinning it up to the start of Stromlo. The see-saw was good, then around a few more corners and across a rock armoured water crossing. Here my chain decided to jump off and when I went to pedal I just went over the bars and splat. OK, dust off everything and get pedalling again. The knee had been hammered in that one - not sure if stem or ground, but it freakin hurt. Better keep it warm though, so up to the top of stromlo via the trunk trail in the big dog - probably had a tailwind.
 
After the ascent I was pinning it down the berm track and lining up for the small gully jump, when the front wheel washed through a nice erosion drain leading into the small take off ramp. Somehow I was spat off at 45 degree to the take off line and heading towards the inners of the gully nowhere near the take off ramp. Somehow I got into and out of the gully, did a somersault and landed on my feet, and as a bonus, the bike was fine and I was fine.
 
Well sort of anyway, I copped a seat in the groin, and may need a new helmet, and some new skin for my elbow, but I was OK enough to keep going down, and then do a run up the World Cup climb - no dabs of course, then cruise back home.
 
That night my knee blew up a bit, but the ice kept it in check. My neck feels about a centimetre shorter - It'll lengthen out over the week though! But most of all ,the bike is OK.
 
But I think I have drunk too much coffee - I need some food now - starting to shake!

4 comments:

David said...

Look after the knee, and try not to stress it too much till the swelling goes done. It's very easy to cause more damage after you give 'em a good knock.

James Downing said...

You bet! Took a sick day on Monday - iced it, took some NSAI drugs, and smeared it with Hirudoid and Voltaren - good as gold on Tuesday morning - 37km/hr avg solo for 90 minutes!

David said...

Make sure you keep it warm over the next couple of days if this weather keeps up Knee warmers all the way!

James Downing said...

The knee warmers have been on since april!