Friday, November 14, 2008

Crit report plus other randoms

The fourth round of the CORC Summer Dirt Crit series was held at Stromlo yesterday. In addition, there was the Road Super Crits plus some junior coaching going on, so the vibe was pretty good.
 
The Stromlo dirt crit track is a standard. In that regard it does not change. It is the same every time. And it requires a ton of power and staying power as there are no recovery sections. After doing a tyre cull from the garage, I mounted up 2 reasonably worn SB8s - it was going to be a bit sketchy in the corners for sure. The A grade riders started off reasonably slow I thought. Gareth wasn't there for the first lap honours, so being the fastest to clip in and start pedalling I put the hammer down and got the holeshot into the first bit of singletrack. Stromlo is an easy course to ride in terms of technical difficulty. In that regard it took about 3-4 laps to break the first 5 riders up. After that time Brad Morton (who had placed 2nd in the Wednesday Road Crit A Grade race) was the only one who was with me. We had managed to just get a 5 second gap over 3rd-5th.
 
My tactics in this race were to go out and try and lead from start to finish, but I could feel on the 6th lap that there wasn't much left. On the 'recovery' descent on the 6th lap my HR had gone to 191bpm. Seeing that I could see Brad's Crossmark front tyre under my arm for the entire lap, I knew that I would be well pushed to keep the lead. Brad made a move after the start finish line and put in a burst of speed that I could not hold. I hammered the last lap as well as I could but Brad had it by a comfortable margin. 2nd place though - not too bad. I have used the same tactics against Brad in the past - they are pretty effective! Kylie raced well to claim 3rd in the women's class - probably still recovering from the week's training.
 
Stats:
Laps 7
Average Speed 25.7km\hr
Distance: 5 km
Average HR: 180bpm
Laps on the front: 6.25
New tyres needed: 2
 
On other random cycling news......
Oscar Pereiro will never forget his crash during the Tour de France this year, when he fell off the side of the road on a switchback in the mountains. And to make sure he remembers, he has had the date of the crash tattooed above the scar on his arm. (Better not do this everytime he gets a scar)
 
Alexander Vinokourov is hoping to ride the Amstel Gold Race and Liège-Bastogne-Liège with his Team Astana this coming spring, according to reports in the Dutch media. The Kazakhstani rider is negotiating with the UCI to allow him to start as of the beginning of next year, but the world governing body of the sport is firmly against it. (Astana will be the loaded team this year)
 

 

2 comments:

onimod said...

James + Kylie
How are you both?
Astroboy here...(hockey days)

I'm back in the capital too - how do I drop you a line?

NC

James Downing said...

Hey Nick
I'm in the ACT govt - you can send an email there firstname.lastname at actdotgovdotau (don't need any spam from spiders crawling the web!!)

cheers
James