Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Lucky it's a recovery week


Yesterday I got a Basal Cell Carcinoma chopped out of my face. It was located just under my eye and as expected I have a super puffed up eye now.
The doctor did a great job with the plastic surgery and was able to successfully chop out a 3cmx3cm bit of cancered skin from a delicate part of the face.
I am so glad that the Tour is on because I can't really train for a few days - at least I can keep my mental training on.
It is so fascinating watching the team tactics (or lack thereof) play out over the course of a day. Some teams just figure it out and get it spot on. It never ceases to amaze me the sort of planning that goes on. I try to mimic this with my own racing to ensure that the least amount of energy is used up on the actual day. This starts with things like getting bottles, food clothing etc ready 2 days before the race. I also write out a race plan for every race with at least 3 options. This way when a certain element plays out, I don't have to think about it too much. You can't afford to be thinking for 3 seconds as you may miss the key break.
It sometimes seems like a lot of work, but I think that it is worth it. The results this last 6 months have highlighted that something is going pretty well. I am still looking for a fair bit of improvement for the next 6 months as it didn't go exactly perfect, and there is always something to learn.
Stats time now:
  • Races contested in last 6 months: 42
  • Podiums: >50%
  • Top 5: >75%
  • Mechanicals: 0
  • National Series Championship overall titles won: 2
  • Ordinary races where it felt crap: 4
  • Dislocated fingers: 2
  • Races where I couldn't feel my fingers or toes: 1 - Tumut 3 hour - so cold
  • Dehydrated after races and throwing up: 2
  • Times I wish I had a hardtail: most of them
I love my Titus Racer X. At 10 kgs it is pretty light for a 4" travel dual suspension bike. I have ridden this for 18 months, this is concidentally the bike I have owned for the longest time. I have been racing bikes since 1989 and in that time have had over 35 bikes. However, there are times when I feel the need for a rock solid platform that a dually can't offer. So in the next couple of weeks I will be getting a Scott Scale.
I have pondered long and hard over this bike choice, the Cannondale Taurine was on the hotlist for a while, but the system integration - or lack of it with all other bikes in my stable (eg lefty front wheel and cannondale cranks) have got me going with the standard fare XTR and Chris King for cranks and wheels - and this is something that the Scott Scale can offer me. I'll see how it goes anyway - I aminly want it for the Short track races, and the occasional XC - I'll probably ride it all the time - who knows!!

No comments: