Sunday, June 15, 2008

chasing roadies down Northbourne ave

Day 1 of blog - better think of what has gone down.

Well, the program called for some road riding today. Pretty much how the weekend pans out at the moment. I am taking a couple of months off racing. I have raced about 39 races since November 2007. I mainly want to have a mental break so I can come back hungry again when the weather warms up.

Today, it was 10 degrees maxiumum, with the wind chill making it feel like about 6 with a standard 34km/hr wind. Heading out up to the base of Mount Taylor I was grinding it out at about 23km/hr up the bike way. Turn around at the top and it was a freight train down to Woden at 45-50kays. After heading onto Commonwealth Avenue bridge I noticed a roadie cranking pretty well.

He slowed a bit over the bridge and I caught up a bit. He looked around and saw me then he tried to drop me I reckon. I was doing my best to look like a roadie, but I guess it wasn't enough. The road up to Capital Hill starts nicely with a 1-2% gradient, but it just doesn't let up. My Heart Rate at the top was pushing 177bpm but at least I was reeling him in! He slowed to recover at the top then rolled down to the lights, where he got caught by the red. He kept sneaking glances over his shoulder checking things out seeing where I was. I just wanted to say g'day to him.

When the light went green, he took the whole intersection to clip in then it was hammer time again. He just put the power down and took off. I went after him, but by now he was really tiring, and got caught by another red light. He balanced for about 2 seconds then out of the blue decides to chuck a left and go down a side street. SOFT - come on and play, there was at least 5 more sets of lights to do sprints at!

Kylie got me some new Oakley Radar glasses with the blue iridium lenses. These are way better than the M frames I have been usign for the last 2 years. They offer a much better fit and the hydrophobic (water repellant) coating on the lens is awesome as I tend to sweat truckloads.
I am also thinking about seling my Giro Atmos. It is pretty good, but I also have a Specialized D2 which is 10 times better - lighter, fits better, more comfortable blah blah blah. Have to get EBAy rolling.

I rode for about 3 hours then went home to thaw out. Had a warm soak in the bath and some pasta (at the same time). Kylie had done 2 and a half hours on the wind trainer as she doesn't go out when it is below 10 degrees.

Went to Domayne and checked out a Tempur space shuttle certified bed. It is pretty awesome, and at $5000 it should be too. It has this thick conforming foam that feels a bit like quicksand and you sink into it.

Anyway - more secret training tomorrow hunting down rabbits.

No comments: